May 2011 saw the entry of another paranormal fiction novella entitled End of Mae. The only thing different about it was that this book was a test subject for some marketing experiments.
The author thought that if her techniques could work on yet another vampire book, they would be successful tactics for promoting anything. The criteria for her ideas were that they were practical, viral and cost no money to use. The results were staggering.
- Nearly 500 bloggers, magazine editors and other media specialists were contacted with a virtual press release. The entire thing cost under $1 and took a total of about two hours from start to finish. Press release included promo shirts for girls and guys that could be shared, a replica of the actual book that contained the first chapter among other things.
- Since the press release 30 to 50 new people have visited the End of Mae Virtual Visitor Center in Second Life daily. This doesn’t count revisits; the counter only registers unique visitors.
- As a direct result of the virtual press release, the virtual location became an editor’s pick for Second Life’s Destination Guide, exposing the book information to 150,930 (and growing) Facebook fans alone.
- At one point End of Mae jumped 312,010 Amazon sales ranks in two days
- In one month End of Mae was reviewed nearly 100 times with a number of author interviews and Q&A sessions
This is incredible exposure for anything, especially a one month old new fiction. This was done with minimal to no cost using skills easily obtained from online tutorials. No Money Marketing: All You Need Is Like is a must have tool for today’s indie artists and authors to promote their work to a massive audience for a minimal cost.
The book behind the success of my first book, End of Mae… and I spent less than $50 USD. Enjoy this slideshow story about some of what I did (in itself a free advertisement that is climbing to 5,000 veiwers in a few weeks). That too is in the book!